I have admired, feared, loathed, loved, and longed to be the Proverbs 31 woman.

This is a record of my personal path to becoming the woman God has created me to be.

Friday, February 4, 2011

Snow Day!

You know, snow days aren't so exciting for homeschoolers.... unless there's actually snow! Today, there is snow! Ok, so it's actually more like white ice. Horrible (and painful) for snow balls, but the kids are having a blast. 
The three of them woke me up at 6:30 to tell me to look outside. I told them it was just ice and proceeded to pull the blanket over my head.  They apparently went out into the living room and went back to sleep waiting for me, the poor things.  So, at 9am I got them all ready to head outside.  Keep in mind, we are in Louisiana.  It doesn't snow much here & we're not entirely prepared for it when it does.  Eric grew up outside of Buffalo and I grew up in KY, so we've both had our share of snow days, dressed like the poor kid in A Christmas Story.  We had snow boots and waterproof gloves and snow suits.  My kids have hoodies and flip flops.  The each had on 2 pair of socks, 2 pair of pants, various layers of tshirts, long sleeve shirts and hoodies on the top, and hat & gloves.  Eli was outside for all of 10 minutes before he asked me to 'warm his gloves up.'  HA.
I called them in about 30 minutes later & had everyone strip down to a dry layer at the door (including various neighbor kids).  I put everyone's wet clothes, shoes, gloves, etc. in the dryer and fixed oatmeal, cinnamon toast & hot chocolate for all.  By the time breakfast had settled and toes had thawed, warm clothes were coming out of the dryer, ready to be donned again for round 2 of 'The Snow Day.'
As I type, there are 9 kids with Eric 2 doors down at my daddy's trying to rig up some sort of 'sled.'  And by 'sled,' I mean something flat to tie a rope to that they can pull eachother down the street on.  We have no hills to speak of here.  Louisiana, remember?
I'm waiting for them to all tumble through the door with bright red cheeks and noses, icy fingers and toes, and soaking wet everything  giggling about who fell off the 'sled' the most.  I'll strip 'em all down and fix some soup while their clothes dry again.  Maybe we'll do a round 3 if they're up to it.  They might be over it by then; they are southerners, you know.
I am enjoying a quiet house while it lasts, with a fire going and a dog curled up next to me.  I think I only have a few more minutes of bliss left before the aforementioned 'tumbling through the door.'
Here are some pictures from round 1:



No comments:

Post a Comment

WOW! Someone is actually reading this?!?