I have admired, feared, loathed, loved, and longed to be the Proverbs 31 woman.

This is a record of my personal path to becoming the woman God has created me to be.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Happy Birthday to my one & only ELI!

Oh, man... I think this is harder than the day Sam turned 11.  I realize 8 is younger than 11 so technically, he's still closer to 'being my baby boy' and that's usually what makes me (any mom?) cry on birthdays, isn't it? It's a reminder that they are moving further and further away from climbing up in your lap the minute they wake up in the morning or dancing with complete abandon in the middle of a crowded lobby.  Eli told me he wouldn't dance in the kids' church talent show the other day. "You mean in front of people??" he asked, incredulously.  He's growing up :( It's a sad day when he won't do the chicken dance in front of the camera anymore!

Eli doing his famous chicken dance


Where to begin the story of Eli?  This is the boy who broke my heart and then filled it up to overflowing.  He is one of the funniest people I've ever met and the BEST cuddler.  His little skinny body just forms to mine like a puzzle piece; like he was always meant to be a part of me.  He came into this world weighing in at 9lb. 13oz. and looking like a boxer.  Did you know they sometimes still use forceps during a C-section?? I had no idea until I saw my little bruiser's face! He was born in January, just like his brother; he was a big baby, just like his brother; he was a boy, too... but he was NOTHING like his brother.

Eli on the slide at City Park


tasting hummus for the first time

Eli was an easy infant..... up until about 5 months or so.  Then he turned against me.  Apparently I was just the hired wet nurse.  He tolerated nursing, but REALLY didn't like for me to hold him. Or look at him. Or breathe his air.  He only wanted his daddy.  If Eli was in bed with us and woke up to see me first, he'd bite, kick scratch & scream.... He only wanted Eric or, if that wasn't possible, his Poppy (my daddy).  My mama and I were shunned and it broke our hearts. 

Eli naps on Poppy



Eli was easily frustrated and spontaneously violent.  He was a biter and Sam has the scars to prove it.  I remember when he would bite Sam, I would tell Sam to bite him back and Sam would cry and say , "But he's my brother! I don't want to hurt him!"  Sam was young and apparently hadn't been bitten hard enough yet. Eli was a late talker, which added to his frustration. I took him to have his hearing tested and it was fine.  His comprehension was off the charts, but he couldn't form the sounds to communicate.  I tried to teach him signs as a baby, like I did with Sam, but he was much less receptive to the idea.
Eli, looking like a hobbit


He always had this sad face :(

 So, there we were... The tide started to turn, however, right before hurricane Katrina.  I had enrolled Sam in preK-4 and Eli & I had more one on one time. It was just what we needed.  Then came Katrina and we all evacuated to my aunt's house further north.

Eli & his Aunt 'WallyLou' (Aunt Marilou)

 It was there that Eli really started to be happier.  I got him into speech therapy and it helped SO much.  We did it for a year, until Eli flat out told me one day that he was "tired of this place, tired of this lady, tired of these games!"  So we quit.  But, he had come so far!  Being able to communicate effectively had greatly improved his temperament. 




Eli is a pure joy now.  And he likes to sit on my lap now, too.  That helps :)  He is fiercely loyal; he may get frustrated and fuss at his siblings or his BFF across the street, but no one else better look at any of them the wrong way or Eli will jump right in there (usually throwing punches, but we're working on that).


Eli & Sam

Eli & Ruby


Eli & Ruby


He means business

 He has an incredible memory, which is why he does so well on our Junior Bible Quiz team (JBQ).  He is always the top quizzer when we have a tournament and rarely studies.  He is hilarious, but at times when he is just being himself, not really trying to be funny.  Under all of that silliness though lies an unexpected wisdom, which, as the Word says, begins with fear of the Lord.  His faith is strong and he is bold and I have no doubt that the Lord will use him for great things.  He hasn't let himself be 'spoon fed' our faith, either.  He questioned everything!  He told me a couple of years ago that he wasn't sure he wanted to be 'saved' because he didn't want to make promises he wasn't sure he couldn't keep.  Wow! After much discussion and praying, he made a conscious decision to follow Christ.  His own decision.  That's huge at 6!

Eli, unlike his older brother, would eat cookies all day long if I'd let him.  He told me once he couldn't wait until he was 18 so he could move out and eat all the Lucky Charms cereal he wanted and drink sodas all day long. If given the opportunity, he would eat marshmallows until the second coming.
mouth full of redi whip

Do you see the pure joy on his face?? The boy loves his sweets.

So, to wrap this up (because I could go on forever......) we are having a joint football party for the boys tomorrow.  They can't wait; they both eat, sleep & breathe football.  Eric's going to paint a football field in my daddy's back yard, we're going to have chili dogs and nachos and have a full game of 2 hand touch (much to Eli's dismay... he really wanted to play tackle).  I've got a lot to do to get ready (like make jerseys for the 'visitor' team and make 2 cakes). I just hope the rain holds off and it's not too terribly chilly....
mean green

Here are a few more of my favorite pictures for your viewing pleasure:
Eli the garden gnome

Eli studies penguins

Summer fun

Christmas elf


Eli

1 comment:

  1. happy birthday to one of the funniest kids i know!!

    ReplyDelete

WOW! Someone is actually reading this?!?