I have admired, feared, loathed, loved, and longed to be the Proverbs 31 woman.

This is a record of my personal path to becoming the woman God has created me to be.

Monday, January 17, 2011

I think I'm going to start adding a favorite kid quote of the day at the end of each post.  It's amazing what goes on when they think no one is watching or listening. I think Sam, at age 11, is only beginning to doubt the existence of my 'third eye' on the back of my head.  The other two still believe whole heartedly.  I want to keep it that way. 
Don't get me wrong, I have great kids.  They are always well behaved in public which, let's face it, is the most important time to behave. They usually do what I ask when I ask with very little whining.  Usually.  My biggest issue with all three of them right now is the bickering, teasing, and name calling.  It breaks my heart that they do things to aggravate or hurt each other on purpose.  I know people will say, "well, that's just how kids are!"  But, I don't think that's any excuse.  I think that's a cop out.  I have tried to get it through their heads that our home is our safe place.  Our family is our sanctuary.  We can get hurt and angered enough in the world; we don't need that here.  One of my pastors once put it something like this: Love protects.  When you love someone, that person can share their fears, their passions, their pet peeves, etc. with you and your job is to protect them from those things, not use them against them.  He was talking about marriage, but I think the same ideas apply to any relationship.  I don't know why they don't get that....
Ok, that's my soapbox for the day :) Now for my favorite kid quote of the day!

This was over heard while the kids were having lunch:
Ruby (age 5) ~ "You know, Uncle Matt and I are a lot alike.  He likes the smell of gunpowder and I like the smell of hotdogs."
WHAT?!?
Here's one of my favorite pictures of the girl so you can put a face with the quote:

3 comments:

  1. i wish someone had given YOU that talk when we were little!
    also? what's with your kids and the smell of hot dogs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved this post! I so understand what you are sayin about how we treat eaco other in a familoy. LOVE the picture of your princess!
    Blessings,
    tami
    PRAYING 4 A MIRACLE 4 JEREMIAH
    www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Tami! It's sad but true that we usually hurt the ones we love the most, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

WOW! Someone is actually reading this?!?