I have admired, feared, loathed, loved, and longed to be the Proverbs 31 woman.

This is a record of my personal path to becoming the woman God has created me to be.

Friday, January 14, 2011

My Chicken Pie



Horrible picture of a beautiful pie, I know.... The batteries in my 'real' camera were dead, so I used my cell phone. I swear, every time I upgrade my phone I have poorer picture quality with the camera and more dropped calls..... 'smart phone,' my butt.
Anywho, there was a request for the recipe for the chicken pie so here it is:

Mama's Chicken Pot Pie
1 (2-3lb) broiler/fryer
      (I usually just use a large pack of chicken thighs)
1 onion, quartered
1 stalk celery, cut into large pieces
1tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp salt
1 bay leaf

Combine all the above ingredients in a large dutch oven (or stock pot), cover with water & bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat & simmer for about an hour.
Remove chicken from broth, strain broth & reserve 1 1/2 c. of it. (I usually take out the 1 1/2 c. for the recipe and then freeze the rest for use in recipes that call for chicken broth; it's so much better than canned!)
Cool chicken, remove from bones and chop meat.

Now, on to the vegetables:
1 c. chopped celery
1 c. chopped onion
1 c. chopped carrot
1 c. chopped potato
about 6 sliced mushrooms
1/3 c. butter
1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 c. half & half
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
pastry for pie
    (I'll admit that I mostly use the roll-out refrigerated kind)
1 egg
1 Tb milk

Saute all the vegetables in butter until crisp-tender.  Add flour, stirring until smooth (about 1 min).  Add reserved broth and half & half & stir constantly until thick and bubbly.  Stir in salt, pepper & chicken.  Remove from heat.
Spoon mixture into pastry & cover with another pie crust.  Trim, seal & flute edges.  Cut slits in top
Combine egg & milk & brush over pastry
bake at 400* about 30 min or until golden brown.

*** I like to make a 'gravy' to spoon over the slices of pie.  I just make mine by melting some butter, adding some flour & some rosemary or thyme & stirring constantly about a minute or two.  Add some broth and some milk & some salt & pepper.  But you can go without or use your favorite chicken gravy.

If you make this, I'd love to hear your opinions!

No comments:

Post a Comment

WOW! Someone is actually reading this?!?